Hebrew

A few years back I had an affair with Hebrew. I was fascinated by it. I was able to buy some books and courses and study it. I didn’t find too many people to practice with at first. There were a few times when I went to the mall and saw people selling skin lotion. Those people always turned out to be Israelis no matter how many malls I went to which thrilled me because I was able to speak a little in Hebrew to them. I was also able to attend a Hebrew learning get together (Ulpan) in my neighborhood in Maryland and I found it very interesting. I got to where I was able to read and was called upon several times to read paragraphs where we took turns reading. The teacher asked if my family was Hungarian and remarked that I spoke Hebrew with a Hungarian accent. That gave me street cred!  Later I discovered cursive Hebrew which I thought was very beautiful. The Ulpan was quite enjoyable and really helped as there was also a good portion of speaking opportunity. After a few months I was able to hold a decent conversation. I continued my study and listened to Hebrew programming, including news, talk, and music online from Israel. I can't stress enough the importance of immersing yourself like this no matter which language you are learning. I found Israelis encouraging and helpful while I was learning Hebrew. It was really a great experience. 





Comments

Popular Posts